Thursday, July 28, 2011

Coke On The Rocks

Coke on the rocks has been a long running joke between my friends and I whenever we go out and the waitress asks what will I be drinking for the evening. I’ve always made light of my choice not to drink alcohol but lately I’m finding myself being questioned more and more by people about my decision. The truth of the story is between the ages of 18-20 I tried drinking and it just didn’t stick. That simple! It was an activity that just never became a habit and I just stop drinking on my own accord. With that being said, have I had alcohol here or there since 20. YES! Do I feel that God will condemn you for consuming alcohol at your Grammies 90th birthday party or celebratory event? NO, but the bible does warn against drunkenness. Ephesians 5:18 “And do not be drunk with wine, in which is dissipation: but be filled with the Spirit”, this is just one of the many verses that warns against drunkenness. Another verse that I often think of is, 1Peter 1:13 “ Therefore gird up the loins of your mind, be sober, and rest your hopes fully upon the grace that is to be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ; as obedient children, not conforming yourselves to former lusts, as in your ignorance”. The part of that verse that always sticks out to me is the “gird up the loins of your mind and be sober’. I love that part because it tells us to be aware for ANYTHING that could cloud your judgment. That means wine, drugs, MEN/WOMAN, money, vanity, pride, ego and the list could go on and on. Jesus doesn’t want our minds being controlled by anything that is not of Him.
Now just because alcohol is not one of my vices doesn’t mean I don’t have any. The current battle I’m fighting is with FOOD. When I’m left alone with any substance that contains sugar I immediately morph into a magician and make it disappear. I can gladly say that this is a devil that’s about to be slayed in the name of Jesus! I empower you to take a look at the things in your life that may be clouding your judgment and submit them to God in prayer. If you feel lead, please share your comments and feedback. I would love to hear what your think!
“Be sober, be vigilant: because your adversary the devil walks around like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour” Peter 5:8
Living To Live Again

No comments: